paulo is here

Tuesday 21 July 2009

VEGETARIANS BY CONVENIENCE

2nd day in Finca Tatin as a volunteer. Everybody is chilling on the lounge area either on the sofas, on the hammocks or on the swing chairs after a fantastic dinner. The night soundtrack is courtesy of two Latin singers, Nigga and Makano. Everyone just had dinner and what a feast it was.

I see some customers hypnotised in their novels, others drinking their cocktails, some just involved on their conversation, others smoking their fine cigarettes. One guy is looking through his camera pics and one girl looking at Chris' table of necklaces, earing, rings and bracelets. This afternoon, and in less than 10 minutes, Chris made a really cool necklace out of a pendant that I had for a long time.

Chris is the main receptionist and he was sick all day yesterday so I had to hold the fort on my own. This morning he came to work before 7am, and fully rejuvenated took over the reception and checked out some guests with a incomparable efficiency. Seeing him working made yesterday and his sickness feel like a long time ago.

At 8am I went to the restaurant area to have some breakfast when I noticed that the 3 kitchen girls looked very busy. Asked them if I could help somehow and was asked to take the orders. Breakfast is ready, everyone! I took all the orders and help them portion things up.

Later on, Chris told me: “There are 3 of us in the reception, we're here all day and we don't have a rota so whenever you want Paulo, go for a a kayak ride, a swim or whatever.” I really thought this was gonna be all work but looks like I'm gonna have a lot of fun as well.

If I'm gonna be here for 1 month, I'll need to fall into some sort of routine like:

  • Wake up,
  • have a swim and a shower,
  • paddle a kayak some time during the day (midday?),
  • read some amazing books and learn how to drive a boat. There are like 7 or more motor boats, plus lots and lots of kayaks, so I'm sure they will find time to teach me.

There's even talks about going out Saturday night to Livingston so party party party.

I've been initiated on Reiki a couple months ago but haven't had time to read the book given to me. So I spent a couple of hours today reading it. If I read a few pages every single day and do all the exercises I will be able to do Reiki on me and on other people as well very soon. Watch out for Paulo version 2.0, The Reikist!

This morning, I noticed a grill so I asked Gabi “Any chance of a barbecue?” She said we could do one today so she rang Carlos asking him to get several chickens.

After lunch, Gaby took me and Martin on a motor boat with the pretext of collecting an order of timber wood. That's the official version. The real version is as follows: We took the boat to “” and hung out with Rocio, a Spanish friend of mine, followed by a few beers in a bar up river. Gaby said that's her way to unwind from the stress generated by the Finca.

On the way back, we bought some coconut bread so the boss wouldn't tell us off. We got back after 6pm so Carlos and his daughter were putting the chicken pieces onto the hot grill. It smelled delicious.

Went to the restaurant to set up the tables for dinner and noticed 4 Americans that previously had listed themselves as vegetarians. I asked “Are you guys gonna miss the barbecue?” They looked at me and with a sad face replied: “Can we change our minds? We're actually vegetarians by convenience.” I laugh and told them: “That's OK. There's plenty of food for everyone!” Indeed it was. Soup, tortita bread, Spanish omelet, mix veggies, salad and grilled chicken. A feast.

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

No comments:

Post a Comment