paulo is here

Monday 6 July 2009

LAS LISAS FINCA

It has been mad! Let me see if I somehow can sum it all up in a single blog post. Yesterday morning (Saturday 4th July) Ryan and I left Finca Tatin after spending two amazing nights there.

I spoke with the Argentinean owner Carlos, about working for a month on the Finca as an unpaid volunteer. Carlos said that if I’m interested then I should tell him ASAP. I shall sleep on it for a couple nights before making a decision, but I pretty much like the idea. Our group of 10 people has split up, some going to the Mexican border, others staying at the Finca for a extra night, some going to Cobal’s archeological ruins, and Ryan and I are heading to Guatemala city.

Carlos took us two back to Livingston then we got in a taxi boat to Puerto Barrios (30Qz) followed by a bus ride to the capital (70Qz). In Puerto Barrios we asked this kid where the nearest Internet Café was so he took us there. He didn’t have to do it, he could have just pointed it to us but he insisted on taking us there. Friendliest kid ever.

We haven’t been able to check our Couchsurfing replies for a few days as we had no internet access, thus we had several unopened emails from Guatemalan CS’s. Called Maria González almost instantly because she kindly offered her ranch house located in Las Lisas, Santa Rosa, Esquintla, Pacific Ocean side. The place is couple hours away from Guatemala City but we can’t let an opportunity like this pass us by. Maria told me that she can only take us there today morning (Sunday morning 5th July) so we had to source out some alternative accommodation for this night. Not a problem.

Called Hiram García, another Couchsurfer who had agreed to host us for the night. Hiram informed us that he would pick us up at the bus stop. The bus ride was great and calm. We had a toile stop at this place where I had a massive cup with banana, peach, strawberries, 3 ice cream flavours, peanuts and whipped cream. I’m such a fat bastard! We arrived in Guatemala City as per schedule so Hiram picked us up with his spouse and gave us two choices:

a) we could go to the house to relax

b) as today was Hiram’s wife birthday we could have a Italian dinner with them and their friends.

We picked…”b” so soon enough we arrived at the restaurant after the mandatory city tour. We dined with Hiram, his wife and 3 of his friends. Everyone shared great tips on the best places to visit so we will surely be going to some of them, specially the active Volcano.

Went to the house and after a toilet incident, where the water wouldn’t go down, went to bed. Was doing some writing when I hear Ryan shout: “Can I help you Paulo?” I was about to respond when I realized that he was talking on his sleep, so I just curled up and laugh to myself.

Today morning I woke up at 8:30 and chatted for a bit with our host Hiram where he showed us a silly youtube video where the guy behind the camera keeps on saying “Oooooooo” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnSQtZXkX9w then I called Maria González. Maria told me that she would pick us up in about 1 hour so Ryan, Hiram & missus and I put our stuff on the car and went to have breakfast at Pollo Campestre. I had pancakes with maple syrup as they had no fruit. Everyone else had the special breakfast with everything on it! Before eating our meal Hiram blessed the food with a little prayer, something that I’m not accustomed to, at all. Interesting. During breakfast we chatted about their Couchsurfing experiences and we realized that we’ve met the same person, Katsumi Yuso Ruiz. Small world innit? To top it up, Ryan and Hiram share the same birthday. We were telling Hiram’s wife about the silly youtube video when a kid decided to join in with the “Oooooooo”. Funny stuff. Finally, Hiram had paid last night’s dinner so today’s meal was our treat. We stepped outside the restaurant and bumped into Hiram’s friend, Jackie pushing her little boy on a pram. Maria also arrived at the same time so after a quick hi to Jackie and a quicker good bye to our amazing hosts, we joined Maria on her fiends’ GMC SUV. We felt kinda bad not spending more time with Hiram and friends but as I’ll be in Guatemala for at least 4 more weeks, we’ll probably meet again. Actually, I will make sure of that.

Back to our host No2: Maria, a very tall blonde girl, someone you don’t expect to see in this neck of the world but really friendly and with a generous heart. She volunteers on this animal shelter in Guatemala, has travelled all around the world, and speaks fluent American English. She is not even 25 yet. She has a strong opinion on Israelis and she loves hummus.

Her friends were really cool too, which made the two hour ride so easy.

When we entered the village of Las Lisas, Maria pointed out her father’s land and it was ever so huge. We pressed on until we hit the sea and Maria informed us that we could get a taxi boat into the islands or even to El Salvador. Cool! Reversed backway and took the turn on the dirt road into Maria’s house. The keeper Lito hopped on his horse and open the gates for us. When we saw the house in its magnitude our jaws just dropped. A really big country house with maze of rooms and beds, toilets, verandas just on the top floor. Downstairs we had the kitchen and dining room, a old ass jeep, a marquee with several hammocks and benches and lots of locked doors. We will have fun exploring this property.

Took our stuff from the car and put it in the house. Maria had a box full of goodies for us (watermelon, refried beans, bread, eggs, tomatoes, onions, apples, even soap and toilet paper) We opened the fridge and it was all stocked with coca-cola, avocados and homemade cheese. We tried a bit and let out a laugh because it was just great. Maria told me that Guadalupe made it so I’ll be talking to this Guadalupe lady later on. We sat outside under the marquee and then on the pretext of getting beers we returned to the car. After a short drive around we stopped at a restaurant and ordered some food. Ryan had fried shrimps. The rest of us went for the Ceviche. Yummy stuff. We noticed that some of the punter carried guns so it was kinda weird seeing it in a restaurant with lots of kids but Maria assured that it was pretty normal.

On the way back to the Finca, we switched on the radio and started singing to some Latin tunes. We were in Reggaeton heaven, when we went through the dirt road and I saw this dude lying on the ground ahead of us so I thought he was drunk but when the car went past him I realized that he was no drunk at all, he was dead! I shouted “Stop the car, there a dead dude back there!” We stopped the car and the same time Lito arrived on his trusted steed.

A young kid, perhaps 15/16 laid dead in front of us with blood all over. I could see some holes on his t-shirt so I could only imagine that he was shot dead. Lito confirmed that about 10/15 min before he heard 5 bullets being shot and a white van moving away. Called the police and went back to the Finca for some, I don’t know, at least to think about the event that just took place. I asked Ryan: “Are you ok dude?” “I’m just perplexed - he replied – I had the weirdest dream last night, where I saw my friend’s corpse.” Coincidence?

Continued talking with Maria, friends and Lito then they had to return to Guatemala City. Lito said that he will get us some horses tomorrow so we can go on a horseback riding plus he will get a new car battery for the Land Rover Jeep and some diesel.

I thanked Maria: “You’re such an angel for putting us up. Thank you very very much!”

The GMC SUV car pulled away Ryan let out: “I just can’t believe this.” Indeed these have been amazingly hospitable people.

Ryan did some washing and then back to the house and whilst I was writing, he was drawing a girl’s face.

Alfredo came by and we chatted for a bit. Alfredo is the night guard so he usually sleeps on the ground floor. He informed us that he will be back at 10pm with 2 vicious dogs so we should not go outside after that time.

Later on, Guadalupe came into the house and asked us if we wanted her to cook us some food but I politely refused saying that we had lots of fruit and veg already so I could fix us some nice salad. Instead I asked if she could teach us how to make cheese. She agreed, so tomorrow morning we will learn a new trade: Cheese making! Cool.

My new salad recipe: Onions, tomatoes, red apple, avocados and cow cheese, lime, salt and pepper.

Ryan ain’t very keen on avocado so he said “I’ll just have a spoon full” then he end up having a cup full! I guess he liked the salad! He he.

Tried having a shower but there was no water. Alfredo said that he would have to fill the water tank but we would have to wait until tomorrow because it was raining a lot.

Watched a movie then went to bed.

Tomorrow’s a busy day: Milking cows, making cheese, jeep exploring, horseback riding and taxiboat to the islands.

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

No comments:

Post a Comment