paulo is here

Wednesday 15 July 2009

IXCHEL

I have a new Guatemalan number, so kindly phone me when you wish!

+502 58 22 87 52

IMG_4377_1

A friend that lives in China told me that she can’t read my blog due to the restriction implemented by the government. Considering that, I’m ever so pleased to have clean internet access, albeit a bit slow on occasion. I appreciate that in Latin America, I can open any webpage with no constraints on its contents.

I’ll never complain about the slow speeds again. I promise.

I’m due to start my volunteer work in Finca Tatin on Monday, the 20th of July so I was talking to Hiram, my CouchSurfing host in Guatemala City about things to do on the interim time. I want to visit Lake “A tit land”, Coban, Tical amongst others. As well as that, I’d like to be back to Guate city this Saturday because I have a party to attend, leaving me with less than 4 full days. Hiram explained that it will take me a rather long time to reach some of the tourist places to end up spending just one night there.

Hmmm. I’ve got it: I’ll stay two nights in Antigua then come back to Guatemala City for the parteeee, followed by chicken bus ride and taxiboat to Finca Tatin. Done!

Hiram, such an amazing host, took me yesterday after work to a fantastic museum:

Museo IXCHEL.
The Museum houses a vast collection of textiles originated from 120 Guatemalan communities as well as a collection of paintings illustrating the regional costumes. IXCHEL is the Mayan goddess of fertility and weaving. We saw the clothes and textiles used before and after the Spanish arrived.

It was very interesting to discover that the Mayan vests had snakes, eagles, etc. Back then, people were able to distinguish each area or tribe just by looking at the clothes that the natives wore.

Amazing stuff. My mate Ryan makes clothes so I’m sure he would love to have seen it. Some other time eh?

Yesterday, Ryan informed me that Stephan, an American dude that hung out with us in Livingston, Seven Altars and Finca Tatin had been diagnosed with leukaemia and was rushed back to the US for Chemotherapy.

One of his close friends wrote on his facebook wall the following:

“…everyone to please send your thoughts and prayers to Stephan Meloy, who was just diagnosed with leukemia. He's already been a hell of a trooper the last couple of days while trying to get out of Guatemala, and I know that he would greatly appreciate any and all support.”

I sent him my best wishes and a quick recovery. I really hope he gets better soon.

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

No comments:

Post a Comment