paulo is here

Sunday 19 July 2009

BACK TO LIVINSTON

I’m back to the little village of Livingston, Guatemala.

Tomorrow’s plan is to take the 8am boat to Finca Tatin, where I’ll be working for (at least) one month.

This afternoon, I took the bus from Guatemala City to Puerto Barrios (70 Qz), and upon arrival, I rang the Finca asking them if they could pick me up. I was told that, as it was already after 6pm, they had no boats available and suggested that I’d get a taxi boat to Living (50 Qz), stay the night and be at Iguana’s Hostel at 8am for the boat ride to Finca. No problem.

I’m staying at Africa Place (35 Qz), the same hostel we stayed last time. As I wanted to figure out where tomorrow pickup point is, I asked Africa's Manager Mario for directions.

I walked towards the main pier, and turned right just before the basketball pitch where lots of Garafuna kids were playing under the never distracted supervision of their mothers. I pressed on and asked a kid if he knew where Iguana's Hostel was. His reply was: “Just keep on waking for another 400 meters.”. What a response! Kid was no older than 10 years old and knew the exact distance in meters!

Wow.

I suppose my steps are more or less 1 meter of distance so I have to count 400 of them. 1, 2, 3, 4, ...12, 27, ... Continued my walk and passed several restaurants, bar and nice looking hotels.

Why we never walked this road when we stayed here last time? It is actually a very nice part of the town.

400 meters after (I can only assume, I didn't reeeeally count them all! Ah!) after crossing a bridge, heard some funky music so turned right into a small alley road that took me to a hostel. A couple of really big 2 storey high log cabins with the compulsory hammocks on the top balcony and a reception/lobby/restaurant area completed the Iguana’s Hostel.

I went up to the reception and the guy behind the counter confirmed the Fica’s boat pickup time & place. Returned to Africa Place with a huge watermelon (20 Qz). Mario lent me a knife when a Spanish couple comes in. They both work at a volunteers place up river very near to Finca Tatin. The Spanish girl told me: “You'll get tired of seeing me!”

Not so! If people are nice, I’m never tired of seeing them. For instance, the people that I’ve met in Guatemala City: Maria Andrea, Yaqui, Tina, Hiram & Irene, etc.

Maria and I always managed to have avid discussions like on traffic and exploitation of women or how far your tolerance really goes. Yesterday afternoon (Saturday 18th July) she came to Hiram & Irene’s house and with a little help from me, created an online blog for her non-profit Dog Shelter.

http://pazanimalguate.blogspot.com

It still has a few (or a lot) rough edges but I trust that Maria will put a bit of effort into it to make it really cool.

I couldn’t spend as much time on the bog as I wished because I had a party that required my attendance. Tina, a German expatriate and also Yaqui’s house mate, invited me to a work leaving do. When I got to the restaurant she managed to entertain me for a few hours with her sharp wit.

Tina, remember the night’s tune: “Loser whatever, Fly away 4 ever, Fly away to Loserville, Population: 1. YOU!”

When Yaqui arrived we talked and talked for hours trying to lose track of time, but soon enough was time to collect her son Pablo from the babysitter. We left the party and after a quick stop to get her babyboy, we get to Yaqui’s house. She put her young man to sleep and we continued our discussions until the early hours of the next day. Actually, today!

I ended up sleeping over and in the morning had breakfast with Yaqui and her son. She drove me down to Hiram & Irene’s house to collect my bag and to say “Hasta luego” to them.

We were all outside on the pavement when Hiram realized that he locked himself out, so I jumped over the high fence and opened the front gate. I’m old as, but I can still jump. Well, not as high as this guy: Jericho Sunfire, my raw food guru.

Yaqui then drove me down to the bus station in Zone 1, and after a goodbye kiss, I boarded the bus to Puerto Barrios.

Yaqui just texted me saying that she misses me. I miss you too Yaqui. Lots!

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

No comments:

Post a Comment