paulo is here

Tuesday 25 August 2009

RIVER SIGNAL

“Do you have a signal?” – Gaby asked me – “out here in the river?” We’re sitting on a lancha boat in the middle of the river as illustrated in the following map:

golfete

Carlos bought a USB Modem in order to get us online but, unfortunately, there’s no signal anywhere in the Finca. To top it up, the place is surrounded by very tall trees which decrease any chance of internet access even further. Thus, Gaby and I decided to take the lancha boat out, hopping to find somewhere with some signal.

Of all places, it seems like this very spot, the middle of the river, is the only one that we can get some internet.

“Can I check my ... yahoo?” – asked Gaby – “and, er, my facebook?”

Since I got my ear infection, I’ve had bad days and good days. On good days, I’m the crazy sexy cool Paulo everyone accustomed to, but when I have bad days, my ear is throbbing with pain, I can’t stay around people, all I wanna do is lay down in a dark and silent place until the pain goes away. The tablets are helping but still, today was a bad one. Couldn’t even get out of bed. Gaby came by and seeing me curled up, understood that I wanted to be left alone. Eventually the pain subsidised and I was able to function once again.

“Are you gonna be long, Paulo?” – insisted Gaby – “I need to Google up something...”

I was ready to leave soon but it seems like I’m staying a bit longer in the Finca. Carlos asked me stay until the end of September; he will pay me wages and teach me how to drive the boats. Cool. That means another month of Finca Adventures. That also means I can come to this part of the river anytime I want.

Gaby points out the cloudy skies. “Paulo, please please please let me check my emails before that storm arrives.”

Well, I better give her the laptop before she starts screaming or the rain gets here.

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

No comments:

Post a Comment