paulo is here

Thursday 13 August 2009

CHRIS LEFT THE BUILDING

I’ve got an ear ache. It started last night. Right on the back of my right ear, between the earlobe and the neck. If I don’t touch it, I’ll feel no pain. But I know, the moment I’ll rub my hand on that area, it will send me up the walls in excruciating pain.

Gaby told me: “It happens to everyone that has been to Finca. It has to do with jumping in the river waters daily. Occupational hazard.” – she stated.

Chris, my German co-worker also had it for a while. I remember that on the morning that I got here, Chris was off work because the pain drove him crazy. He would still swim in the cool waters but wouldn’t jump in the river.

Gaby would describe his swimming routine: “Little Chris – he’s 36 years old by the way – walks down the steps that lead into the river, until the water reaches his chin, then he will swims across the river in a slow motion, taking extra care not to get his ears and his long blonde hair wet.”

Gaby explained that a lot of people get better just a after a few days, unfortunately for Chris, his ear never cleared.

I’ve been here for 3 weeks, I’ve seen Chis having good and bad days. On good days, he would hung out with us and tell us funny stories, on bad ones he would disappear into the jungle, looking for a plant that would give him some temporary relief to his ear ache.

I hope mine get better soon. I can’t picture myself wondering aimlessly in this jungle.

After 7 months, Chris decided to leave this place. Today, after packing all his stuff, he hopped on a lancha boat. He ain’t going very far, just down the river to the nearest garifuna village, Livingston.

You’ll be able to find him right at the top of the main hill in Livingston, outside the restaurant Bahia Azul. He’s the long blonde hair dude with no shirt, standing behind his craftwork table full of necklaces, earrings, pendants and rings.

Making eye contact, he will greet you “Hola,” and extending his open palm in a welcoming motion from left to right, he’ll tell you with a genuine smile: “You can try anything. There’s no obligation to buy.”

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

No comments:

Post a Comment