paulo is here

Tuesday 4 August 2009

COPAL & OTHER SMELLS

Chris asked: “Do you know,” - with his German twang – “how to play zee backguman?”

His usual after-dinner-routine is as follows:

  1. Lie down the pier
  2. Roll up a joint
  3. Light it and smoke it
  4. Enjoy the subsequent trip
  5. Watch the night bats flying around
  6. Two hours later, return to the reception area, with his eyes bright red, say good bye and goes to bed.

Tonight, he had to skip a few steps because the clouded skies started pouring before dinner. In the end, he did have his deserved joint but was back in less than 20 min so he’s looking for some substitute for his bat friends.

“No,” – I reply – “I’ve never learned how to play backgammon.”       With a huge grin across his face, Chris says “Its eazzzy. Come with me.”

We sit down on the backgammon table and, after explaining the rules, we play a couple of rounds.

As expected, he won!

There’s some soft rock bursting out of the speakers, some guests are engulfed in their travelling conversations, others are reading while they swing in the hammocks. There’s a pleasant damp forest scent in the air mixed with traces of lasagne, cigarettes and Aloe Vera after sun cream.

I adore when fresh washed girls walk past me leaving their aromas and scents in the air. Unfortunately, in the two weeks spent here, in Finca Tatin, I haven’t whiffed any women’s fragrance, cologne, or even guy’s aftershave. It is as if, every single traveller, tourist or guest, shoves everything inside their backpacks, but leaves no room for their Channel No.5 bottle. Hmmm, let’s see:

  • 3 pairs of thick cotton socks - check
  • biggest camera in the market – check
  • 7 ugly T-shirts – check
  • Camping towel – check
  • dollars & credit cards – check
  • smallest flashlight ever – check
  • a pair of the latest fashion in mountain boots – check
  • ugly trousers with 273 pockets and just as many zips – check
  • granddad’s Panama hat – check
  • bottle of perfume – oh sorry, bag’s full up!

Luckily, waiting for me in the cabaña, I have lots of copal, an amazing incense used all over the Mayan world for ceremonial rites and in their homes. In a couple of hours, I’ll head up to the cabaña, pour some into a ceramic bowl, light it up, get in bed and let it’s scent embrace me as I fall asleep. An added bonus is that the copal is a mosquito repellent.

Can’t wait for it. But before, I want a Backgammon rematch with my German buddy. “Comen zie here, Chris!”

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

2 comments:

  1. Nice scents in the air are always necessary, as well as repellents.

    Good job finding a way of getting both in a very practical style.

    No-one else thought about that before? : /

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sure they have. I suppose they haven’t been able to promote it enough. Should we start the trend? But we need a celebrity, like Paris Hilton or Bruno...

    ReplyDelete