paulo is here

Saturday 1 August 2009

ANTI-SOCIAL

I’m sitting on my bed, listening to the torrential rain pouring outside. It managed to find a way in through a tiny hole on the ceiling resulting on a puddle on the wooden floor of my cabaña. If it doesn’t stop soon, I’ll need to get up and grab a bucket.

I check the time on my laptop: 02:37am.

I don’t feel tired even though we’ve just returned from a night out. After dinner, Gaby and Oria went to get dressed whilst I had a refreshing shower. Soon we were on a small motor boat with Carlos. Destination: Village of Livingston.

It’s one thing to travel down the river during the daytime, always looking out for floating threats like fallen trees, logs or even native people paddling their primitive cannons.

Travelling during the night, well, is a complete different story, the boat has no lights, you’re dependent on your memory not playing any tricks and that your instinct alerts you before any dangerous situation occurs. This time, the night sky was clear and the moonlight  was plentiful enough to guide us towards Livingston. My only thought was: “Even if we didn’t make it to the village I am content that we went on this journey.”

We went through the amazingly beautiful canyon and slowed down when we were close to a white cliff wall tainted by graffiti. Gaby shared that on the last full moon, they took a couple of kayaks and paddled all the way to this very spot. That particular night, according to her, the river was ever so serene, and there were no treacherous waves to tip their kayak over.

Check the time again: 02:51 am. The rain is still pouring and the puddle is getting bigger.

Moored the boat in Livingston’s pier and a few cold beers later, we were dancing to the night’s chosen tunes: Punta, Reggeaton, and Salsa. Gaby, originally from Nicaragua, has, unsurprisingly, all the Latin moves, and would shake her booty like Shakira to some tunes. On the other hand, Oria’s dancing style, maybe because she lives in the US of A, revolves greatly around hip-hop moves. Very sexy nonetheless.

At 01:02 am the police came to our honkey donk and demanded closure. Where’s the all nighter club? We were saying our good byes to the DJ when I notice this huge black dude saying “Fuck you anti-social bitches!” to the girls. Oria, sharply replied to him but I managed to step in: “Dude, these girls are with me. – I said hugging the girls - Have a good night and bye bye.” “I’m just trying – he babbles on – to be fucking social with theses bitches.”“There’s no need for that sort of lingo here. – I added - Be respectful.” He tried spouting out something else but was rapidly taken away by his buddies.

Check the time once more: 3:14 am, Showers are getting stronger with no signs of stopping.

Started walking towards the boat and passed an Internet Café still opened. I was here this morning checking our emails, etc. Finca Tatin has no internet access so once a week I go to Livingston and do my thing.

I do like my present situation. I’m fully aware that I need the internet but I’m happy in the knowledge that I’m not dependent on it. I can spend a full week offline in a secluded swamp, return to the plugged-in world for a couple of hours and with a bit of discipline and planning do all the things I need doing in that time frame.

During the week spent on the swamp, I load up Word; write blog posts, emails drafts to loved ones, and a things-to-do-list. Then, when I have internet connection I just copy & paste all the stuff I wrote.

This plan of action, this discipline will:

  • stop me from spending countless hours glued to a Google webpage
  • stop me longing for that dreaded/anticipated email to drop in my inbox.
  • save me some money
  • allow me to see more of the world, or the swamp for that matter
  • gain independence from …

I’m kidding, obviously! I think I’m spending too much time with my German co-worker!!! The only reason I ain’t glued to a random webpage in this very moment, is because I have no internet connection.

One thing I really miss, is being online with Skype running on the background and seeing a friend or loved one logging on the other side of the world. I’ve never been fond of MSN or instant messaging. I’ve always been a Skype type of guy. I love how you can, just by pushing a button, have a full conversation with someone in a far far land.

Check the time one last time: 3:37 am. Exactly one hour. I’m gonna get that bucket.

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

No comments:

Post a Comment