paulo is here

Thursday 6 August 2009

INVADERS

Another lazy afternoon in Finca Tatin. I just met these two American ladies that came to Guatemala on a humanitarian project. They aim to change and improve the diet and nutrition of the native population, by educating them on the benefits of varied foods and how to grow their own vegetables.

Currently, the natives eat mainly flour tortillas all day long. If they’re lucky they’ll have rice and beans. Whilst the ladies were explaining their work and how they aspire to change this country, my mind wondered to 500 years ago, when the Spanish Armada came to Latin American soil, conquered it all, killed all the revolutionary minds, imposed their language and religion, taught the inhabitants how to behave, etc.

I shared that with the American ladies. Then I added, “Spanish conquistadores dominated these lands 5 centuries ago. Today, other countries try to help these people. By helping, I mean changing and training them. By changing their soil. By educating them. By showing them the right way to do things,” - I explained - “Don’t you see a resemblance? What the Spanish invaders accomplished, back then, with brute force, sharp swords and pointy spears, is or is it not the same that the Invaders of the 21 st century (the so called “Charity workers” ) are trying to do?”

“The only difference,” - I continued - “is that today they use the disguise of diplomatic work and volunteer schools. The Spanish tried and were successful during a long period. When they left, the natives just went right back to their same old ways as if nothing had happened. I take my hat to all what you guys are doing, I’m all for it. But it is one thing to help without expecting any reward, and another completely different thing to force the natives to change their ancient ways so one can feel fulfilled. My honest opinion? Has anybody asked the natives if they want our help?”

Not believing their own ears, surprised by the frankness of my speech, the two American ladies just stood there in awe for what seemed like a eternity, when finally one said: “We don’t know, someone ought to ask them.”

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

2 comments:

  1. Look at you, with all the big thinking and mental drilling.

    I'm too lazy to raise my opinion, so I'll follow yours, man.

    Keep it up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your question is a good one and should be asked of all charity projects. You were spot-on with your historical assessments and critiques. I'd be curious to see if those ladies actually asked the local people if their help was even needed, and what kind of response they got.

    Although, it has to be said, projects to improve diet are good ones to back.

    ReplyDelete