paulo is here

Sunday 13 September 2009

WRITING

“I like your writing Paulo”, he wiped off a yogurt stain out of his π=3.14… t-shirt, “Err, have you been to any writers conference?”

“No, I haven’t. I’d love to, though. I like what and how I write but, I want to learn more in order to improve it. Someone told me that there are several yearly seminars & workshops up in Antigua. When I leave the Finca I intend to look into it.”

“Right. Good for you, Paulo. Coincidently, one of the biggest Writers Conf is held in Hawaii and it’s coming up, Labour Day Weekend, I think.”

“I’ve read about it, man! There’s a book here called “Chicken Soup for the Writer’s Soul” and at the back it mentions the Maui Writers Foundation and Retreat.”

“That’s the one. A friend of mine is one of the organisers.You could spend some time in the islands, find a job and be at the conference.”

“Really? I’d really love to do that.”

“Cool. When I get back I’ll send you the info.”

On the last 3 months, I’ve had similar conversations with several other guests. Two come to mind. Satyama and Lindsey.

Satyama, a Canadian, travels the world giving massages and writing travel articles to magazines & Guides.

Lindsey, lives in Austin, Texas and is majoring in sticking sharp needles into people’s acupuncture points. She was ever so kind to talk me through her soon-to-be-published manuscript.

They’ve been to writers conferences and had lots of ideas and frank criticism to share. I’m glad our paths have crossed.

I wished they could have stayed here longer so we could have further discussions about our similar passions.

I can only be sure that I will encounter other writers, other opportunities, other critic minds.

One thought crosses me mind, I’m reeeally excited about it.

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

2 comments:

  1. hola paulo! michael (man in the 3.14159.... shirt) and I (andrea) are back home in los angeles now, and we both agree the our conversations with you at the finca were a highlight of our trip! am currently saving my pennies to go to belize... I will bug michael and make sure he gets that conference info to you! happy travels, glad you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie & Michael!
    Great to have you here!
    Next destination? Hawaii it is!

    BTW, Michael left his pie tee here! Does he miss it???

    ReplyDelete