paulo is here

Thursday 24 September 2009

WHAT DO YOU DWELL ON?

“Paulo, how come you’re so happy / energetic / hyper / friendly / enthusiastic /  ...?” – I get asked all the time.

“Oh that? I have this fantastic hormone that you can get in any shop. It’s called MASCULINITY!” - I usually joke.

The real truth is that a long time I decided to change my perspective. I decided to look at the world around me with a different pair of eyes. So instead of waking up in the morning to the sound of a horrible bedside table alarm clock and going like, Oh no, I need to get up and go to that horrible cubicle job, or, Oh no it’s Monday again, I would instead wake up and ask,

  • How much fun can I have today?
  • How much freedom can I find today?
  • How much more can I do today?

I’ve noticed that the more I asked these good questions, the more I would fill up this reservoir of good will, wonderful feelings and good intentions.

“Wake up fool! All of the time you spent feeling bad, you could be feeling good, you could be enjoying life.” - I’ve read it somewhere once.

That resonates with me so much. Why feel bad when you could be feeling good?

Ok. Don’t get me wrong. I get sad as everyone else. Bad, horrrrrrrible things do happen. I’ve lost loved ones to car crashes. I’ve been in car crashes myself. I’ve had severe infections and I’ve been robbed. I cried with the rest of the world when Princess Diana died. I was distraught when I saw the plane fly into the Twin Towers. I’ve lost my mother, my grandmother and my grandpa. I’ve been heartbroken and I’ve also been kicked in the nuts. Painful stuff!

The difference is that I deliberately refuse to dwell on these things. I grieve for a short while, and then I move on, I get on with my life as quickly as I can and become the best person I can be.

So, how come you’re NOT so happy / energetic / hyper / friendly / enthusiastic /  ...?

Ciao 4 now

~ Paulo ~

4 comments:

  1. Di que si paulito, hay que mirar la vida con optimismo. Verdad que siendo pesimista no arreglas nada? pues entonces, a ser optimista, y a reirse de todo, de las moscas pasar, de las viejitas,jejej, de las no viejitas, y a sonreirle a la vida.
    Un abrazoooooooooooooo
    Jorge

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...specialmente las viejitas....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vea corazón, la mayoria de los que nos creemos felices, siempre somos "relativamente felices" pues hay cosas que no podemos cambiar...y no nos queda mas que luchar por cambiarlas en algún grado... y hasta disfrutar de esos bajones que nos hacen sentir vivos!

    En esos momentos sirve mucho abrir su bolsa de creencias y pensar en lo mucho que la vida le ha regalado y solo puede sentirse agradecido! tiene mucho Paulo!!!

    Lo quiero mucho,

    Fíjese :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just makes me think again, of the one conversation you and I had, over the phone, when you were still working for the ISP in Amsterdam. You had such a easy going attitude, but at the same time you were very professional about doing your job. Thank you for leading me to to your blog, I've really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete