paulo is here

Friday 3 April 2009

POZOL

First night spent on a hammock. I’ve had afternoon naps on hammocks but never spent a whole night on one of them. Very comfortable, I must say. Last night there was a electric blackout, very hot night in Tabasco, plus there was no AC units in all the rooms, therefore it was decided to accommodate everyone in two rooms in order to have a good night sleep: Some people in beds, some in hammocks! Guess where I stayed?

In the morning, Daniel drove their CS guest Gabrielle and yours truly to Tapijulapa, Tabasco. A very entertaining drive: We talked about our experiences in China, lack of toilet paper in India and Gabrielle’s tattoos. Daniel pointed out several sights during our field trip, like sacred trees, miles and miles of banana trees, the Chiapas mountains and he also recommended a book which will (try to) explain the Mexican way of thinking:

 El Laberinto de la Soledad by Octavio Paz

I’ll search and download it online otherwise I suppose I’ll have to buy it in some bookstore. I haven’t read many books this year so this one sounds like a good choice.

Upon arrival to the village of Tapijulapa we walked up to the nearest bar to use the toilet and Daniel suggested that I tried a Pozol (traditional drink made with corn and cocoa).

Verdict? I supposed that if they would add some honey, sugar or something, it would make Pozol delicious, but as it stands: Not great at all. Mind you, I’ve had some really strong Yerba Mate tea in the past and that’s one bitter drink.

We took the taxi boat (150 Pesos) to our destination and asked the guide about the place and its sights. He informed that there aren’t many tourists so the place is rather tranquil. There used to be lots of buses full of tourists coming to this place but since the road got blocked that stopped. He mentioned the Sardine Festivity which is THE CELEBRATION to attend.

The boat moored us at our destination and we started our wonder into the jungle. Very hot day with high humidity so we were all sweating but even so Daniel kept his cool and pointed out cool trees and birds.

There was a long branch hanging down from this tree so I tried my Tarzan impression by swinging from it but failed miserably.

When we got to the amazing waterfall, all our pain and suffering was all forgotten and we felt like kids again. Actually, there were lots of kids bathing in the waterfalls so when I tried to have a swim they came round and bombarded me with lots of questions about me, my country, my travelling, etc.

Kids will always be kids so I didn’t mind it at all. Fun afternoon.

When we got bored of the waterfall (and the kids) we head back and spotted these ladies selling food so we decided to have a bite here instead of eating at the only restaurant in the village. I can’t get enough of Mexican food. I’ve been in Mexico for over a month and every day I eat something different and scrumptious. Unmistakably, we had some very tasty cheese pasties (empanadas).

A youtube Video (or some other webpage) with the walk and the waterfall to follow soon.

Ciao 4 now

~Paulo~

2 comments:

  1. You are having such a great time, I am very jealous. It also sounds like you are finding out that that traveling brings out the best in all of us. Have you ever read any Gabriel Garcia Marquez? If not you might also want to look up "100 Years of Solitude". He's a Colombian writer, so as you progress further south, he might be someone to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read
    Gabriel's book years ago! Might be the right time to review it again

    Cheers!

    Paulo

    ReplyDelete